Friday, June 24, 2011

Retraction..

In my last entry, I talked about saving Tango the rooster from the stew pot- but then a few days later, he was back in it.
Basically, I had decided to go ahead and slaughter 3 cockerels a little younger than I would normally, because Tango wouldn't let them out in the pasture, and I felt they were outgrowing the coop they were in. When the choice was between Tango and the little roosters, Tango was the winner.
Then I thought, "Well it's time to let those little pullets out at any rate, that shouldn't upset him any". Boy was I wrong.
They actually got along great with the big hens, I've never seen such a simple introduction between chickens. They didn't even look at each other, the young ones came right to the feeder and started eating next to them- but then Tango came speeding right in and proceeded to flog the the little pullets. I figured maybe he was just excited, and thought he was looking at the little cockerels, so I put them away and tried again. Same thing two more times. With them roughly half his size, and with his spurs I decided I couldn't let that be.

So between Tango and my future laying hens, Tango lost I'm afraid.

It just goes to show I guess, we don't always get to choose what happens. These birds have a mind of their own and Tango didn't seem ready to accept anybody new in the flock.

The happy ending is that my three cockerels are now out in the grass with the rest, which means I was able to split the little babies (Tangos progeny out of Eva- including a little tiny rooster who looks just like him) between two smallish coops, so that they now have more room as well.

As for Tango, he made a really nice pho ga (Vietnamese chicken soup) which we all enjoyed.

Tango's son is in the first and third picture. The pullets with him are the keepers from that same hatch.




No comments:

Post a Comment