Friday, June 24, 2011

Baby Rabbits

We put our three legged buck, Triton (not a three time show champion- he actually has just three legs because of an injury from before I owned him) to two does last month- Butter and Nightshade. I thought that nothing had come of either attempted breeding. This was mostly because I kept checking the nest box of Nightshade, who's cage was lower to the ground and easy for me to peer into. She never had any kits, and this was the second time that we tried with her, so I was thinking that Triton was the problem (maybe he couldn't get a good hold on the girls cause of his single front leg?) and so I never even checked on Butter's nest box.
When I finally stood up on a chair to take her nest box away, I saw that it was full to the brim with fur that she had plucked out to make a soft nest. I pushed it aside, and sure enough, there were 6 little pink babies.

I had been leaving her alone with them, so I don't have any pictures of the babies at that stage, but now their eyes are open and they are soooooo dang cute.

Nothing more to say, beware the cuteness overload which follows.






No comments:

Post a Comment