Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Early for Good Behavior

Well, our ducks never hatched. I thought they were going a little bit long, and then found a broken one outside her nest- not a thing had developed but the smell. Yuck. I decided to pitch the whole bunch into the compost. Aside from this, we needed the garden back. I had decided to go ahead and slaughter the ducks for the freezer, but had a last minute change of heart and put them up on Craigslist. They wound up going to a petting zoo, so that's pretty great. Happy for them. Over the time that we had them, they did a great job keeping the snails and grassy weeds from taking over the garden, but it's well past time to plant, and my tobacco starts are ready.

The great part is, no more baby ducks means I could release our nest raiding gopher snake a little earlier! I took some pictures before I said goodbye. He/she is all fattened up, having had no less than 6 mice and 2 chicks (hatched but didn't survive). I think it was more of a vacation than a sentence actually.

Here are the pics!








Definitely one of the prettier gopher snakes I've seen, got a few close ups of his/her scales as well.





1 comment:

  1. If you get another, I want it for gopher duty at my house!

    ReplyDelete